Saturday, July 4, 2009

Time with each child

This weekend my 2 daughters spent time with cousins and a beloved Aunt. That left time for me and my son. I realized, once again, how important it is to spend one-on-one time with each child individually. As a family group we do many things together, pray, study the scriptures, shop, clean the house, go for walks etc. But, the dynamic changes when there is time to listen to the one and do an activity that that child chooses.

Last night my son and I lay out on the grass and watched the fireworks from a not-too-distant college stadium. It was a beautiful night on a large lawn and the weather was perfect for the event. We got the giggles 1/2 way in-between the fireworks as the blanket wasn't quite big enough to lie on and to cover us with. It was a fun exchange and one which we'll both probably remember for a long time.

As we lay under the stars; pondering upon the great expanse of the universe, we felt a renewed connection and closeness that wouldn't have come had all four of us been there together.

I'm grateful for the reminder that the Lord knows each sparrow that falls as well as each of us by name and individually. It was a blessing to spend time with this son and to share a memorable evening together; just the two of us. Those pleasant times renew me to continue forward -- amidst the daily challenges that come.

2 comments:

Rick Carpenter said...

Your son will remember that night for the rest of his life. I can remember a great many of the one-on-one times I had with my parents. I creates in me a deeper fondness and gratitude for them. My mom wrote her personal history recently and gave each of us kids a copy. I finished reading it two nights ago, and could barely hold back the tears of gratitude for my parents. You are doing the same for your kids.

Heidi A. said...

You're one of my favorite people in the whole world Rick! :)
Perhaps someday we'll meet. If not in this life; then in the next.
Heidi