Monday, August 4, 2008

The Heartache....

Some of the heartache in single-parenting lies in the missed opportunities that others' have. I say this, realizing that many others' are worse off than we are. I humbly acknowledge that and hope that I will be sensitive to their needs. Yet, I know that we still face things that challenge us.

Over the years I have tried to be genuinely happy for the blessings of others; most especially my own siblings and their offspring. I've heard much about their trips, vacations, sporting events, summer camps, music lessons, starring roles, educational opportunities, business successes, couple-get-aways, large new homes etc.

For some reason I haven't been able to find as much joy in that lately.

I longed for my oldest daughter to be able to attend EFY (a week-long youth camp at BYU in Provo) with her cousin. The cousin got in but my daughter didn't. Today was the day that camp started. The cousin is extremely excited about it. I ought to be happy for her. And, perhaps I am. But, I'm sad for my own daughter who wasn't able to attend.

As a single parent I often wonder if anyone even thinks about us or cares. They get so busy and wrapped up in their own lives that maybe they forget to notice those by the wayside who longingly watch as they pass by.

No comments: