Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Case in Point

Last night I needed to go to bed early as I was to get up at 4:30 this morning with my daughter who needed to be at the church at 5:00 a.m. for Pioneer Trek. Around 10:00 p.m. as I was falling asleep, my youngest daughter came into my room with the comment "Mom, I'm sick. I think I'm going to throw-up." For the next hour and a half she lay on my bed moaning and groaning. I got her a bowl and tried to comfort her the best I could --- knowing all along how tired I was going to be in the morning. Around 11:30 she threw-up and felt relieved to do so. After we got everything cleaned up I finally got to sleep. Next thing I knew oldest daughter was standing at the foot of my bed "Mom, it's 4:30".

Such is the life of a single parent. I know that all parents experience these things. But, as a single parent you are the only one available to meet the needs. There is no reprieve. There is no opportunity to say 'go and ask your Dad' or "let's talk to your father about that".

On top of all the requirements for a single-parent there is also a lack of 'reprieve' and 'filling your bucket'. It's challenging to be able to do so as money is tighter and free-time is less. We appreciate any kindness shown to us by way of understanding, empathisizing, and validating. Others can't 'fix' all the issues but they sure can help lighten the way by being kind.

No comments: